Thursday, April 8, 2010

Woof!

So today, I got to do 2 of my favorite things both of which I have previously blogged about. You might think that that's all I ever do, and you would be right. Mia, my 4-year old and I walked a dog and we went to Ben Franklin.

Today, we walked Lacey our West Highland Terrier. And I should say that Mia actually walked her. She now outweighs the dog by 10 pounds, so I felt okay that she could hold her. Not without struggle. Lacey kept wanting to take off and lead the walk, so again to be more accurate, I should say that Lacey was walking Mia. I love those Cesar Milan-Dog Whisperer shows on tv and thought I would try out some of his suggestions on my teeny tiny 4-year old.

"Mia," I said. "You need to lead Lacey. She doesn't lead you." I was trying to get her to call on her inner-alpha, find the control and lead. Discover the confidence in her little preschool body. Sometimes on Cesar's show, he coaches the dog owners who lack self-esteem to fake it. Pretend to be confident. Muscle up the courage and take control. "Lacey," Mia commanded. "I am walking you!"

We got to Ben Franklin and I held the dog, while Mia walked in, by herself with her dollar. I could see her through the front glass the entire time, as she picked out her candy and, beaming, paid the lady at the counter for her goodies. Mia was such a big girl. The confidence that she had been kindling on the walk was now blazing as she showcased her independence. She was empowered!

Since I have been laid off, I have struggled with my confidence. I used to know who I was, what I was good at, and how to make things happen. I could tell a joke on the radio like I was sneezing (sometimes the jokes would be about sneezing) It was that natural. I was confident in who I was and what I could accomplish. Now, I question myself. I mean I think I'm good at things. I know I'm a creative person. I know I like to be around people. I know I like to see things come to be, but that assuredness of knowing I was in control and could make things happen is gone a little bit. I second guess myself. Question my talents.

So I have decided to take a lesson from Cesar Milan and my daughter. I am going to fake it. I am going to call upon my alpha-woman and take control of my future. I might not know what that future might be, but I am going to boldly step in and take charge of it. Strong. Self-assured. Confident. I can do anything. I am woman! Woof!

8 comments:

  1. Confidence and creativity seem to go hand in hand. You have always been a creative person. You always will be. Use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What we learn from our children. I love reading your blogs. Everyone can relate to your writings. Lincoln radio is missing a true natural woman. Their loss is someone else's gain. It sounds like you are a great parent! You have many talents. Like anonymous said, "Use it" (them)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you tackled this. I thought I was the only one. RAWR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you're saying but I always feel the most empowered when I'm walking D.O.G. with Salt-N-Pepa rapping through my ear buds. Before the end of the summer, you and I, D.O.G. and ROSIE, yes, Rosie going for a walk. If we can do that, nothing will hold us down. Keep writing, you may not feel it but your talents are still shining to all who know you. Thank you for sharing your life with us on and off the radio. To your friends and fans, you are just beautiful you whether your name is Sue or Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One time, this guy I know, let's call him Man Dalz to protect his identity. Anyway, Man Dalz and I were walking and saw a woman pick up her dog's poop with a little poopy bag and Man Dalz very seriously asked me, "What do you think that dog thinks about that woman, her picking up his poop like that?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dee- There is no way your kids would be as creative and confident unless they had learned it from someone--YOU! Love the blog...it's fantastic...keeps me connected to my nephews, niece & you, even though Madison is 500 miles away! Lv, Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we all start out "faking" it one time or another and then, "voila", we're not anymore. We've gained a bit of confidence accomplishing something we were unsure about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once you got it, you always got it. Sometimes it needs a little warm up. Like riding a bike. Deanna - you have always had it. And I suspect you always will:)

    ReplyDelete